Thursday, July 13, 2017

To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

A fervent admirer of Woolf (rediscovered  'Orlando' to great satisfaction) I nevertheless found this opus more strenuous than enjoyable, just like last time I read it. 

The experimentation in narrative technique and point of view definitely did loads for postmodern literature but it makes for some tiresome reading. 
Focalization skips from one character to another in what felt like a nonsensical way and as there is no plot to speak of, I never got really acquainted with the characters and so was wholly unable to muster any interest in them.

Sadly, I gave up halfway through! I like her short stories, some of which are a lot more abstract, but for some reason I just can't get into this. Might have to try it a third time, at some point in the future... 
(I don't know why I refuse to accept that I just don't like it. I SHOULD like it!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment