Saturday, July 1, 2017

Kung Liljekonvalje av Dungen - Maria Lang



Maria Lang is pretty much a Swedish version of Agatha Christie :
- The plot is regularly set in the small town native of her recurring Police officer hero (on whom I had a Serious Crush as a teenager) (still do, frankly) where people frequently resort to murder to solve their problems, like in Miss Marple's St Mary Mead.
- The characters are Swedishly quaint in just the same way as Christie's characters are Britishly.
- The whodunit plots are puzzles without any ambition whatsoever to be anything else. Which is OK since in those days, detective stories weren't yet thirteen to the dozen, each more violent and seedy than the previous. (#old and #grumpy)

This book was first published in 1957 and I got my copy in 1982 (I was 14!) so it wasn't exactly fresh from the print even then. It is one of my favourites so I have reread it a number of times. Interesting thing about rereading detective novels; I feel I have forgotten all about the plot, but then as I turn the pages, it all comes back to me in portions, a little at the time. Only happens with detective novels. This time, though, it came back to me a bit too soon. I suspect I may have to pick some other of her novels next time I get an urge for 1950s smalltown Sweden. 


No comments:

Post a Comment