Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Exit West - Mohsin Hamid

Regrettably, the very useful low-expectations principle is a no-go with Mohsin Hamid.
I have read and loved all his previous novels ('How To Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia', 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist' and 'Moth Smoke') and his essay collection so I should have been slightly better prepared for the inevitable disappointment, due to come sooner or later.

'Exit West' deals with a country under extremist attack, emigration and then immigration - highly topical, distressing subjects and not so very different from Hamid's previous novels. 

The treatment, however, is incomparable. Far from his previous first person narrations, this story is told in a Paulo Coelho-esque narrative voice, observing from the outside and naming only the main characters. (Others can be described as "the man" or "the second man".)
This ambitious / pretentious fairy tale, stilted style of writing was one of the things I hated about 'The Alchemist' and I can't say I appreciate it much here, either. Whereas this impersonal narration does bypass tearful melodrama, it also prevents at least me from identifying with the characters. 

So : Could have been good, should have been good, but I suppose not even my personal housegods can hit a home run with every book. Hamid will do better next time, I'm sure.    


No comments:

Post a Comment