Sunday, April 23, 2017

La Dame Blanche at Théâtre de la Renaissance, Paris 10th arrdt

I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand, I do believe if theatre wants to survive our middle-aged generation (85% of the audience in any given theatre) this is the way to go : Surprises, interaction with the audience, joking about current topics and mixing of genres (this was a sort of horror-farce, if that makes any sense). My thirteen-year-old enjoyed it.

On the other hand, when the gender roles are this obsolete, it ruins the whole experience for me. It puts me off to see women only as victims and in secondary roles (there is ONE female gendarme who, strikingly, is the only one to be constantly getting coffee for her boss...), especially when it would meant such a tiny effort to do things differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment