Monday, February 6, 2017

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Apart from the considerable length of the recording (thank you, though, www.librivox.com) I still think it's remarkable that I found it more cumbersome this time than when I read it on paper, a couple of years ago (well, OK; quite some time ago). Perhaps I should not have spread it out over such a long time.

At any rate, I did indeed find it cumbersome! For all intents and purposes, I reckon it is more of a work of philosophy posing as a novel, than as anything ambitioning a narrative. 

Nothing happens, of course. Raskolnikov kills the old lady very early on, and spends the rest of the book agonizing, whining, pacing, worrying, upsetting everyone around him and generally making himself as much of a nuisance as he possibly could. Perhaps you need to be Russian to get the hang of this?

Very glad to have finished it!


No comments:

Post a Comment