Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The Darkest Secret - Alex Marwood

For all my love of printed magazines, I have always been deeply suspicious of journalists writing novels. Most of the time, it seems to me they have a distinct message they are anxious to get through and have determined that a book - almost always a detective story - is their best shot. In that, they are probably right, yet it rarely makes for great literature.

Marwood proves an exception to those observations only in so far that her message is prompted not so much by social criticism as by a wish to explore the case of the little English girl who vanished from her bed a certain number of years ago, while her parents were dining out.
Marwood's writing skills, I'm sorry to say, are on a par with most of the other journalists I have read.

A barely OK read. Provided you can stand the impression of being a prurient snoop.


No comments:

Post a Comment