Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Brooklyn - J. Crowley 2015

I went to see this because Nick Hornby adapted the screenplay and I worship Nick Hornby.
So I knew I was in for a treat, and I figured I had a pretty good idea of what that treat would be; a coming-of-age story much in the line of his previous, brilliant, 'An Education'.
That was forgetting Hornby wouldn't, of course, be the virtuoso I claim him to be if he didn't always take me by surprise.

For however much the 'Brooklyn' plot does, indeed, revolve around a young girl, she seems mature enough from the outset, and it's more a matter of making choices than of growing into womanhood (altough yes, obviously, she does that along the way..!).

The setting is breathtaking yet not so striking as to completely take over the film (Looking at you, 'Carol'). 
The absence of villains was another source of astonishment - down to the final ten minutes, when the single evil person in the whole film caused its peripeteia, and everything fell into place...
 
In a nutshell; brilliant!


No comments:

Post a Comment