Saturday, January 30, 2016

Snacka Snyggt - Elaine Eksvärd

This initiatory handbook in rhetoric might have come in handy 20 years ago, when I first started out as a teacher. (Chances are, though, I would not have been able to absorb any of it, as the teaching and class-management took pretty much all the energy I was capable of mustering at the time.)

Now, though, it basically puts in writing stuff I have already figured out by myself, empirically. Which probably goes to show the accuracy of Eksvärd's teachings!

For instance, she states that you listen better to a person you like. 
Now, this may sound self-evident to you, but as a teacher I have found this almost impossible to wrap my head around. The trouble is, see, that although it is obviously true, the snag is that should you stumble into the trap of actually wanting the students to like you, then they never will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment