Sunday, October 18, 2015

Straight Outta Compton - G. Gray 2015

 
To my mind, biopics are not really films. I won't go back on why (though my reasons are right here, should you care for them). 
Therefore, I won't linger on the plot, the language or the inexistent role of women in this film, as they don't really correspond to anybody's creative choices. 
It retraces the early years of N.W.A, pioneer west-coast rappers and superstars of today. The story smacks of reality but is not very original, as many band-stories tend to be disturbingly similar.

As far as biopics go, though, I found this unobjectionable enough. 
Director Gray doesn't come off as possessing much artistic integrity; it feels as if he has pretty much captured on film what Dre and Ice Cube has told him to. 
I may be wrong there, of course. Still, some artistic ambition betters almost any film.

To compensate : kick-ass music!


No comments:

Post a Comment