Sunday, June 7, 2015

Hansel & Gretel, witch-hunters - S. Wirkola 2013

Unless my eleven year old, death-metal wannabe daughter is a lot more run-of-the-mill than I suspect - and not even she was all that crazy about this - I have a hard time seeing exactly what type of audience this film targets.

It is set in a fairytale world with fairytale characters yet the generous blood-splattering rules out any younger kids watching. I don't know what kind of teenagers would appreciate it, nor, clearly, why; though admittedly I frequently fail to grasp the workings of today's youth.
It lacks the beauty of the imagery and the know-how of previous fairy-tale remakes. 

The French poster promises it to be FUN but I don't believe anyone but perhaps Quentin Tarantino, a self-proclaimed fan of kitsch and violence, would laugh at this.



No comments:

Post a Comment