Saturday, October 25, 2014

World War Z - M. Forster 2013

As I - much to my surprise - enjoyed the book, it would have made sense not to watch the film. I wasn't going to. Then I don't know what happened, but for some reason (as you may have guessed by now) I did.

This is what is wrong with it :

1. The global, somewhat impersonal nature of the novel is gone, to the benefit of a fairly ordinary story about a family man fighting to save his female, hence helpless, family.

2. Zombie-attack scenes galore! Way too galore! Even squeamish me ended up numbed to the violence after a while, and I generally squirm at fist-fights. (Less is more, as a general rule...)

3. The Pitt-character could well have been played by Tom Cruise, to very much the same effect; that is how 100% invincible he is. Which is all the more inconsistent as the whole point with zombies is that they are totally unstoppable.


No comments:

Post a Comment