Monday, October 20, 2014

Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman


Though in no way well-schooled in psychology, the concept of two separate ways of thinking - one intuitive, 'fast' and the other more analytical, 'slow' - does not seem that far-fetched to me, really. 
If you stop to think about it, it even becomes kind of obvious.

That was precisely the case  with a lot about this book : I have only read 150 pages (and I'm quitting now) but so far, none of Kahneman's findings has come as any sort of surprise to me. At some level, I think we all know what he says to be true. 
I am not saying we could have done without his book - Intuition, as he painstakingly points out, only goes so far, after all - I am just saying I personally can probably go without reading it.

For instance : 
I knew beforehand it's media coverage that has made the Western world all wound up about Ebola, although cancer is statistically a lot more likely to do us in. 
I did not know that the scientific term for this is 'availability heuristics'.
Questions that arise :
1. Do I need (or even wish) to know that?
2. Did I really need a full chapter to learn it?
3. How long am I going to remember it?


No comments:

Post a Comment