Thursday, October 23, 2014

Frances Ha - N. Baumbach 2012

Curiously, absolutely nothing about this film - the poster, the black& white, the indie hipster thing, the media praise - attracted me to it. I finally got around to it because of how favourably impressed I was with 'The Squid and the Whale' a couple of weeks ago.

... And yet, I ought to have enjoyed this! The link to 'Girls' is conspicuous - Hannah's Adam is there to highlight it to us - as they both portray the same kind of people in the same kind of vein.

However, where Dunham's show is light and serious and clever and relaxed, I found this pretentious and nonsensical. The characters were all rather irritating, and I couldn't identify with any of them.
Yet, I have to hand it to Baumbach : His film passes the Bechdel-test better than most!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment