Monday, April 14, 2014

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie

Påskekrim is a Norwegian tradition, consisting of reading - and originally, I guess, selling - detective novels at Easter. Ideally, I would have liked to go full-Norwegian with Jo Nesbo's latest book, but I prefer reading him in Swedish which I couldn't find here in Paris, so I settled for an old Agatha Christie.

The advantages of vintage Christie are 
     1) that you know precisely what you get, and 
     2) what you don't get; i.e. no paedophiles, rapists, serial-killers, gory detail, supernatural elements or solitary, alcoholic police detectives.
1 + 2 = Total tranquillity!

This one is a wee bit different due to a narrative twist I can't tell you about, for spoiler reasons, but every bit as charming as the others.

If, however, you believe Christie was the founder of these cosy, English whodunits, then you've clearly never read Wilkie Collins's 'The Moonstone'. (But you should!)



No comments:

Post a Comment