Friday, April 11, 2014

Dubliners - James Joyce

Some things never go out of style, it is said, and I reckon that is how you tell Real Literature apart from Good Books. 

I had read this classic collection of short stories several times before, and for every time I feel my understanding of them grows. Some remain cryptic - cannot seem to wrap my head around 'Ivy Day in the Committee Room' - while others gradually unfold like the petals of a flower ('Clay'!!).

They are all of them circular in shape (they end more or less at the same place they took off) and most of them focus on disappointment, and an impression of failure, often subsequent to an epiphany of some sort.

At the risk of breaking through open doors, I have to say it : This is wonderful writing!!



No comments:

Post a Comment