Sunday, February 16, 2014

Escape From Camp 14 - Blaine Harden

I will state from the outset that I have NOT read this one myself. (My 16-year-old is the one with a penchant for true stories of misery. Don't ask me why.)

Still, it feels urgent to use even this modest blog to convey information on human rights-issues in North Korea, especially as the situation is finally growing concrete enough to attract attention from Western media : 

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/14/un-accuse-north-korea-crimes-against-humanity

The book is a personal account from a young boy, born and bred (well... born, anyway) in a North Korean work camp, until he managed to escape at age 23. 
Obviously, the veracity of his story is near-impossible to prove, but as you will be made aware by the UN report, enough testimonies concur to create a profoundly disturbing state of affairs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment