Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Life of Pi - A. Lee 2012

I read Yann Martel's novel a couple of years ago, and was enough enchanted to make very sure to steer clear of the film.

(Forgetful readers will find my views on adaptations here : 
http://ingelaonstuff.blogspot.fr/2013/11/adapting-literature-on-film.html )

After pressure from my nine-year-old (I know. I have weird kids.), we caught it on TV the other night, despite some resistance on my part as the book did not at all strike me as child-friendly.

The film, however, turned out a lot more come-at-able, easier to grasp, since all the darker aspects are gone. Hence, a lot less interesting.

It was visually enchanting, of course, (Ang Lee knows his stuff!) but basically, I felt he had made a children's movie out of a novel for adults.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment