Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Top of the Lake

After Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' I was hell bent on emigrating to New Zealand and spend my time admiring landscapes. For some reason, it never really came to, and judging from the eccentricity of the characters in 'Top of the Lake', that was perhaps all for the best.

Just like it was inconceivable to not compare the early Lady Gaga to Madonna, there is no way I can talk about 'Top of the Lake' without acknowledging everything it owes to 'Twin Peaks'. 

The crime is the same (innocence reviled, how original...), the fascinating setting occupies a large place and the characters are almost as eerie.

I reckon the differences are due to a) time having passed, and b) Campion being somewhat more down to earth than Lynch. (I guess everyone is?)

Brilliant TV, therefore!



No comments:

Post a Comment