Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling


It has been almost a week, I am only 150 pages into this and now it is with some shame I have to confess I am giving up on it.

I am truly sorry, Rowling, but much as I do feel fond of you and of Harry, and much as I have tried, I cannot seem to muster up the slightest bit of concern for the - way too numerous, btw - characters in the little town of Pagford where, so far, the only thing that has happened is the sudden demise of a parish councillor on page five.

I do not wish to imply that a book needs a plot!
Woolf, Joyce and a certain amount of others have given ample proof of that.
But - how to put this, Rowling? - only very skillful writers can offer themselves that luxury.

Better luck next time. I still have faith in Rowling as a writer!



No comments:

Post a Comment