Friday, June 28, 2013

Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami


... And YES here I go with my umpteenth coming-of-age novel!
It was not a deliberate choice, however : When grabbing this at my local 'Joseph Gibert' I had no idea what it was about.

Admittedly, a story about yet another young man and his girlfriends, this time set in Japan, in the late 1960s, may not sound all too tantalizing at first - nevertheless, Murakami's very idiosyncratic narrative style will render almost anything a reading experience. 
It brings to mind Kazuo Ishiguro's, which makes me wonder whether it is something typically Japanese (though Ishiguro was raised in England, and writes in English)?

Unfortunately, the translation felt a bit cumbersome - I don't think the old-fashioned turns of phrase were Murakami's fault, as they were absent from brilliant '1Q84'.

Parenthetically : What is to be deduced from the fact that these bildungsromans feel so significant when I supposedly came of age something like a quarter of a century ago?
Is it just the mark of great literature, or should I worry??



No comments:

Post a Comment