Saturday, June 8, 2013

Dune - Frank Herbert


... And here is the long-awaited part III in our series 'Revisiting the Classics'!

Like everyone else in my generation, I read this ecological sci-fi epic in my late teens. (Come to think of it, though, it would probably be labelled 'fantasy' by today's standards.)
I re-read it - and, stupidly, a couple of the sequels - in my early twenties.

This time around, I was amazed at how much I actually remembered! (Not that my twenties are THAT far away... are they?)
Especially the Arabic-sounding proper names seem to have made an impression, as I still knew almost all of them by heart. (And to think I'm having trouble recollecting my own phone number when I need it..!!)

'Dune' is a classic, even older than I am, and though I am unsure as to whether present-day youngsters still read it as a part of growing up, it had aged surprisingly little. Like me! And like most other classics.

I did see and despise David Lynch's 1984 film adaptation back in the days, but would probably need another take on that, too, so I'll reserve my judgment there.


No comments:

Post a Comment