Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Great Gatsby - B. Luhrmann 2013


To cut a long story short I enjoyed the film - and probably more importantly, so did the students I was taking - although I must confess I'm finding it near-impossible to separate the film from the novel - especially as the film follows the book veeery closely.

The images are dazzling, and the themes developed in Fitzgerald's short but multi-layered classic - love, money, outsider-ship, the passing of time, the decline of society - are all present.

As a general rule, I don't see the point of turning novels into films.
It seems to me that the main asset of a good book, the beauty of the text, is bound to dematerialize on film. Luhrmann here uses mostly conventional means to preserve the text, yet somehow I think he's succeeded.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment