Monday, May 27, 2013

The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger


Every once in a while, I need to re-read old favourites to check whether I and the book have evolved in different directions or not.

I have been putting off re-reading Salinger's classic since last summer, when I developed a crush on the narrating teenager of Chbosky's 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'
Charlie reminded me a lot of 'The Catcher in the Rye' in question, Holden Caulfield, Salinger's erring anti-hero ; They are both articulate, warm-hearted and reflective teenagers in rebellion.

Conclusion : I'm still in love with Holden; his 1950s slang and his eager desire to do good and to protect all innocent life from the adult world.
And I think I also need to go over Sylvia Plath's 'The Bell Jar' again.

No comments:

Post a Comment