Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Peter Jackson, J.R.R. Tolkien


According to a Swedish saying, all rules require an exception every now and then, which is why my 9-year-olds have been granted a major deviation from the 'Read First, Then Watch'-rule for 'Lord of the Rings'.

The fact of the matter is, I wonder whether anyone at all will take the trouble to read these three books any more?

Another fact of the matter is, I'm skeptical as to whether that is actually any major loss to mankind?

Misunderstand me correctly here : However much I enjoyed plowing through the trilogy as a teenager (and as a virtual teenager, a decade later) I am simply not convinced there is enough literary quality to Tolkien's text to justify our reading it - not when the films are so accomplished.

... Accomplished, but lengthy!!
The aforementioned 9-year-olds think the world of all three films, and have, I believe, found the ultimate way to view them : In 45-minute portions, one a day, like a TV-series. And in English!


No comments:

Post a Comment