Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Beautiful Fall, Lagerfeld, St Laurent And Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris - Alicia Drake


The overlong title says it all, really; summaries and descriptions of this book are 100% superfluous.
(The French title, though, bears witness of a lack of either consideration or knowledge of a certain witty department store decorator. Doonan, call your lawyers!http://ingelaonstuff.blogspot.fr/2012/12/beautiful-people-simon-doonan.html )

Drake's depiction of these gentlemen's frolicking over the years had me on my toes (or in my couch, more precisely) most of the week-end.
It is crammed with well-documented facts; it is articulate, interestingly written and even adequatly translated! 

I may be a fashion dim-wit, having settled for admiring YSL from afar, albeit for a long time, but I had no idea he suffered from bipolar disease, although it was apparently no big secret.

My one complaint is the conspicuous lack of photos. Seeing the number of pictures and people Drake takes great pains to describe, it would have been nice not to have to google Loulou de la Falaise, Pierre Bergé or Jacques de Bascher.


No comments:

Post a Comment