Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Marley - K. MacDonald (2012)


In my first-year classes, I often work on Bob Marley and always end up amazed at how well-liked he is even among students relatively unfamiliar with his music.

I figured my Marley-sequence needed some brushing up, so I purchased Mac Donald's documentary to spice it up a little.

The footage of Marley in the film is rather scarce (I suspect there isn't much to come by, actually) but that is counter-balanced by a number of interviews with friends, girlfriends and collaborators, plus of course music galore.

Mac Donald circumvents the trap of rendering Marley too saint-like by allowing two of his children to bear witness of an indeed imperfect father.

I'm not certain whether that will suffice to make my students like him any less, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment