Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Midnight in Paris - W. Allen (2011)


Owen Wilson literally plays the part of Woody Allen (I swear, you can frequently hear Woody coming out of Wilson's mouth. A bit like when you find yourself mimicking your mother.) travelling in time to meet a theoretically possible but statistically unlikely concentrate of subsequently famous artists ; Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Cole Porter, Gertrude Stein, Dali, Bunuel, Man Ray...

I'll acknowledge there is a certain charm to be found in Allen's predictability, BUT! wouldn't it be lovely to be a little taken aback at times? What if Wilson had actually gone on to marry his nasty fiancée in the end?


Plus, I can't help wondering : Paris on film obviously looks nothing like real-life Paris.
BUT! Whenever I set foot in the US, almost everything looks uncannily like it does on film.
How to explain that??
I guess I need an American viewpoint on Paris.


No comments:

Post a Comment