Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Whatever Works - W. Allen (2009)

I was a bit sour about missing this film at its release, as both Woody Allen and Larry David make me laugh. Was pleased to come across it on TV last night, therefore!

As expected, it was diverting, Larry David mostly playing himself (at least as he showed himself in 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and the G. Costanza-character in 'Seinfeld' which was based on him) and as such, being a grumpier and less whining version of Woody Allen's routine main character. Of similar age, though, so there was no escaping the age difference in the leading couple. And I'm sorry, but I have a hard time with that kind of age difference when it so obvioulsy mirrors a power balance.

Apart from that, the film basically followed the pattern of a Shakespeare-comedy; complete with multiple marriages in the end, subplots, soliloquies and addresses to the audience.
This said, and however much I enjoy both, I draw no other parallels between Woody Allen and Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment