Thursday, April 26, 2012

La Nuit de Valognes - Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt

Reading a play is always rather a hazardous enterprise, although it often works out surprisingly well.
This is a modern rewriting of the Don Juan-myth, broaching subjects of love, freedom and their opposites. Much to my amazement, I kind of liked it!

For something like the first 15 years after my moving to France, I regularly tried reading French classics and invariably found them tedious and pretentious.
I blamed my skills in language and culture. They may well have been responsible - it may even have been a lack in maturity? - because as of a few years back, I both read and appreciate French classics.
Learning old dogs to sit, then, is not as impossible as you might think! (Of course, I am pretty intelligent, for an old dog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment